new image format (was: Actually doing something!)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Oct 20 20:23:20 UTC 2005

On 20-Oct-05, at 1:01 PM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:

> Tim Rowledge wrote on Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:41:31 -0700
>
>> Squeak is about 10 years old. Time to move from toddler to pre-
>> schooler at least. Yes, it will mean a break in being able to run old
>> images on new VMs. So what; old VMs will still be there. The
>> sourcecode is still on SVN.
>>

> I guess this is a good time to ask about Anthony Hannan's "image
> version
> 4 format" work (http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/VI4). Bryce Kampjes
> mentioned incompatibilities as the reason why this is no longer being
> considered for inclusion in Squeak, but reading all the documentation
> and scanning quickly through the sources the only thing I noticed was
> that the needed debugger changes were not finished. Am I missing
> something?

I don't know. Some of his work got included anyway (some prims to
support closures and I think
continuations) other stuff is superseded and probably a lot is
suffering from bitrot since I don't recall hearing from him in ages.
Are you there AJH?

I'd like to see the closures being properly supported and made
standard, whether through his code or other code. It really is a bit
bad to still be without them. The page http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/
squeak/3717 is terribly out of date as well and Dan seems to have
drifted off of this path. http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3718 is
at least a year behind the times.

tim