Strange behavior

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Oct 22 17:40:11 UTC 2005

On 22.10.2005, at 14:23, Cees De Groot wrote:

> Why aren't they "real" images?

Because we have a problem with making real ones... the original
setup (used till 6693) of loading each package in isolation did
not work as soon as we start to split package / move stuff around.

So we are slowly looking into how to solve that.

> And, following on the discussion on
> packaging, MC, update stream yes/no - what is the current strategy of
> the 39a team to get updates in the 39a canonical image? Is there any
> way I can help? I submitted half a day's worth of work last monday but
> didn't hear anything back. No I might be a patient guy <cough> but in
> order to motivate people to help in this process we need a roundtrip
> that's considerably shorter (ideally in the order of 24-48 hours
> during alpha stage).

I mean, up to some days ago, nobody cared *at all* about moving things
forward and now suddenly we want 24 hour reaction time? Why not
trying something in between those extremes first?

Another problem: I directly sent you a mail that it will take a while
to integrate
your changes. One of the reasons is that we can't right now update the
image, another is that, as I said, we need to carefully look into how
these
change interact with traits. And no, "first come first server" is not
a solution:
Andrian and Daniel spend *weeks* on that stuff, with "first come
first serverd"
changes like these will never make it.

This need to be analysed and looked at, but the problem is that I did
not manage
work *at all* (not a second) on harvesting related stuff for some
weeks. I hope this
will change, but even then I need to balance the effort of doing this
Vs. working
on my phd... it's not my day-job, so there is no way that I can
provide a 24h service.

Why do we now need to rush everything? We managed to do nothing for 8
Months
while waiting for 3.8, so why now suddenly the rush?

      Marcus