Traits status (was: Re: Strange behavior)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Oct 22 23:00:40 UTC 2005

Marcus Denker wrote:
> Another problem: I directly sent you a mail that it will take a while
 > to integrate your changes. One of the reasons is that we can't right
 > now update the image, another is that, as I said, we need to
 > carefully look into how these change interact with traits.

Out of curiosity: What is the status of traits? What conflicts exist and
need to be addressed? Where can I have a look at the current version to
see what potential conflicts there are and how to work them out?

For the records, I have of course tried to load the 3.7 traits version
from SqueakMap but to no avail - it takes about an hour before it dies
with an "error during install: PureBehavior
class>>compiledMethodAt:ifAbsent:". And when I try to open a debugger I
get repeated errors of the same sort so it's no good even to try to
understand what is going on here.

> Why do we now need to rush everything? We managed to do nothing for 8
> Months while waiting for 3.8, so why now suddenly the rush?

How about "because we would all like to avoid such delays in the
future"? Is that good enough of a why? ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas