Strange behavior

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Oct 23 20:57:00 UTC 2005

On 22.10.2005, at 20:32, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Marcus Denker wrote:
>
>> Yes, I understand that. The problem is that there is suddenly comming
>> everything at once: The problems with actually putting out a new
>> image,
>> having the traits guys looking at hundrets of methods one-by-one
>> by  hand,
>> and the tools Tools-Plus changes... (I gave up on integrating the
>> changes
>> for method annotation and  the new compiler for now till the dust
>> settles)
>>

> Correct me if I'm wrong but how would changes for traits
> significantly interact with the PlusTools patches?
>
> If you look at http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=1915 you'll find
> that most of the changes are pure additions or reclassifications
> (known not to have any impact whatsoever); the second largest group
> are trivial changes just to keep the system work when the tools are
> unloaded (e.g., making sure some services are not classified as
> Tools) and only a few change sets have the potential to have any
> significant overlap with traits. In fact, I can only imagine two
> change sets to have any overlap with traits whatsoever, which would
> be those changing references from concrete tools to ToolSet
> (ToolRefs.cs and ToolSetRefs.cs).
>
> Based on this and based on my inability to have a look at a recent
> traits version, I would guess that if you leave out those two
> everything should be just fine.

Ok, yes, that sounds reasonable. And it's exaclty the kind of
information that I meant with "need to be checked".
So now I only need to find time...

I should maybe have phrase the answer to why toolsplus has not been
looked at last week just with the answer: "I had no time to look at
it at all".

>> I am not up to speed with harvesting, so I everything need to be
>> taken
>> a bit with a "I need to check that". But the problem with Traits
>> is that
>> it changes the system in a way that can't be merged with Monticello.
>>

> Uh. You mean traits cannot be loaded and unloaded at will? Uh. I
> have a baaaaad feeling, Luke.

I am no expert on the traits implementation... Adrian?

       Marcus