Squeak (file system & project structure) newbie questions

David Mitchell dmitchell4 at kc.rr.com
Mon Oct 24 04:40:25 UTC 2005

Nope. You are getting off to the wrong foot. Think of the virtual image
is a little, one-person, object database.

A .jar file is just .class files ZIPped. A Squeak Archive (.sar) is the
Squeak equivalent.

When Jecel said there isn't anything like it on the Java side, he meant
it. There are certainly lots of little databases in Java land, but the
"core Java platform" doesn't have a little, one person, object database,
so it isn't part of everyday life for all Java developers and it isn't
woven into how people test, develop, distribute, and update code. In
Smalltalk, the image is presumed (all major Smalltalks have an image),
so the development tools leverage the image.

--David