Squeak (file system & project structure) newbie questions

Olivier Vasseur olivier.vasseur at numericable.fr
Mon Oct 24 14:35:04 UTC 2005

 >Unnsse wrote
 >Do people pause / resume there work in Smalltalk loading the .pr
 >files or the .image files or the .st files (it does seem that the .st
 >files only contain one small source listing)....
  Hi,

I'm not a professional programmer, but I'd like to answer this
question since I have a comparison with my everyday work that might
be useful here (and I am using Mac OS X too).

Unless I misunderstood the whole thing, IMAGES  are used for pausing
and resuming work. This is how I see it :

  I am a translator, and in my work, I usually end up with many
windows and applications opened at the same time ( documents on the
subject I’m translating in different formats, dictionaries, my own
vocabulary database, former translations I've done, Word or a
specific translators' program, MANY web pages, etc). When I work
late, I don't like closing everything and shut down the computer, in
case I forgot saving or bookmarking something important. I prefer
putting it to sleep so in a few second I can have my Mac exactly as I
left it, with all the documents I found useful still opened, the
dictionaries on the last definition I read, etc. Actually, it's just
like a real desk cluttered with books, documents and dictionaries.

It's exactly the same with Squeak and images. You save your image
when you quit, and next time you open it you have your all
programming environment exactly as you left it, with your Browsers
opened on the classes and methods you last examined, Transcript and
Workspace windows showing everything you did recently, etc. I often
use a Workspace like a Post-it (or like the Mac “stickies”) to
remember important information when I open my image. In the same way
I even keep a "programmer's diary" where I describe what I’m trying
to do and the progress I make. I can’t imagine a more user-friendly
system.
.pr, I think, are used for moving things around.
Olivier.