[ANN] Need testers for 3.9a

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Oct 26 11:45:33 UTC 2005

> In update 6694, why didn't you use a configuration to upgrade
> Monticello? The explicit load in there destroys any MC version one
> might have loaded in the image (even if it is newer than 267). This
> would have done the same:
>
> (MCConfiguration fromArray: #(
>     repository ('http://source.squeakfoundation.org/39a')
>     dependency ('Monticello' 'Monticello-stephaneducasse.276'
> 'd0330fd9-e2b4-403d-815b-cb03db7a7256')
> )) upgrade

Because we could not understand how to use it and how to save a script.

> In update 6695, the "script loading" logic takes really long. I had
> a message tally running, the actual time spent in loading new
> method definitions is less than 5 percent. Of the  5600 sec total
> it spent 1000 sec in GC (100 full, 100,000 incr.), and 2200 sec in
> loadVersionFromFileNamed: (of which 800 s are spent in
> MCCacheRepository>>storeVersion:). It uses
> #loadVersionFromFileNamed: on a new repository instance every time,
> this circumvents any caching.
>
> I think a better approach would be to use the loadTogether strategy
> (which works around all optimizations done by MCConfigurations)
> only when necessary, that is, in this case only for the two
> packages that implement and send the #isRectangle method. For the
> rest, a config map should be a lot more efficient.

We will try to see. For us MC is a bit a black box and we do not have
time to open it.

> I've attached the message tally.

Ok thanks for the feedback.
I did not look at any optimization. Just took what adrian wrote and
use it. I was so happy that it would run.
But now I have to reinstall my machine or find why I cannot check it
myself.