Jon's Web Browser somewhere ?

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Wed Oct 26 20:57:08 UTC 2005

I suspect the "missing feature", or reason this happens is that Squeak
apps tend to take all the classes defined in a given image as their api.
This is wonderful as long as you're in that stable image, but breaks
down in the larger world of more diverse and evolving code. Do apps need
to restrict themselves to more large-scale, stable apis (interfaces) ?

The recent BabyUML papers touch on this, how the apparent sacrifice of
expressiveness actually allows development to scale much better.

I think Zope 3's component architecture is interesting. That whole
system is organized as components which provide well-defined interfaces.
Yet in squeak, objects have a well-defined protocol (interface) defined
by their class, so why isn't that enough ? Perhaps more coarse and
explicit interfaces are the answer. Perhaps packages fill that niche, or
should ?