Team Report: Files

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 22:19:56 UTC 2005

Hi All,

The Files Team consists currently of yours truly, the team leader, and
Ken Causey but he probably subscribed just out of curiosity ;)

Short-term, that's not a big problem - I'm harvesting stuff on Mantis,
which isn't too much, and generally just am available to help the 3.9a
team if they need specific fixes.

However, many of you may agree that there are some things that could
be done better in the Files code. We have the code now for a whole
stack of platforms, we can look at some other implementations, like
VW's, and maybe it is a nice idea if people who are interested in
reworking this library subscribe to the team and start voicing their
ideas/opinions.

Personally, I think that there's enough on the plate for 3.9a so for
that version I am not planning to press for big chances, but you know
how it is with package rewrites: they always turn out to be more
involved than you think :). Therefore, thinking about where we want to
go now, if only to preserve your ideas for posterity in the mailing
list archives, might be a good idea.

Regards,

Cees