Brainstorming on profilling (was Re: RV: Instrumenting Send and ...)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Oct 29 17:50:41 UTC 2005

If you're attempting a serious attack on profiling you ought to
include some time looking at how to make profiling work in the face
of long running primitives. The profiles we get when using
TimeProfiler et al can be quite innaccurate if the code being
profiled uses prims that take a long time; the process that
interrupts to sample the subject code cannot actually interrupt
inside such a long prim.

I forget how it was tackled but VW has some code to try to improve
the value of the results, or used to. It is possible that later
changes have obviated the problem or changed it beyond obvious
similarity.

tim