Brainstorming on profilling (was Re: RV: Instrumenting Send and ...)

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Oct 29 19:54:00 UTC 2005

I should say that I have often problems to understand the results of
the profiling tools.
On VW I started to get it by comparing several execution of different
ways to implement
the same.

May be this is just a UI problem so that I understand how to deeply
understand what I see.
But I'm ready to be a guinea pig to any tools helping me to optimize
my code or just understanding how to access it.

Knowing also place in the code that generates a lot of object: ie
collect for example,
it would be nice to annotate the method code and to get data of the
previous runs.

I was also thinking that it would be nice to have a mode in the
browser that shows which parts
of the code is run, or has been run: following the idea of the
coverage browser in VW.
Because may be part of the code is never executed.

Stef