RV: Instrumenting Send and what is StrikeFontSet>displayString:on:from:to:at:kern:baselineY: doing?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Oct 30 04:46:39 UTC 2005

Ok, first I missed the note that how Apple made the os 8.x call to
set the working directory that worked  under os-x obsolete in 10.4.x.
So as you noticed it would create the .txt file in the root volume.

However now I have recompiled a change to set the application
directory to the working directory.
This might also fix the issues of where does the Squeak3D.log file go
too.

In doing all this, a long afternoon I might add, I altered the logic
so that.

a) You can with the attached change set JMMRecordMsgSendInterface.
1.cs  invoke:

Smalltalk setVMStatsTraceMessageSendLevels: 1.

to set message send recording on.  Note that you pass an integer so
you can say

Smalltalk setVMStatsTraceMessageSendLevels: 5.

to set the number of levels in the call stack to print to 5.

Smalltalk setVMStatsTraceMessageSendLevels: 0.

turns the recording off, and closes the file, the file is always
opened truncated writing.

b) As an extra feature based on conversation with Michael at
breakfast this morning you can also do
under os-x (unix/darwin)  a kill signal to turn recording on.

kill -USR1 19278  {Pick a squeak VM process id}

kill -USR1 19278  {increment the level by one, go to 2}
kill -USR1 19278  {increment the level by one, go to 3}

kill -USR2 19278  {turn recording off, and close the file}

I'll also publish the changeset JMMRecordMsgSends.1.cs (attached)
which has the changes to Interpreter to enable recording, so that
people with
linux or darwin can build a unix VM. Keep in mind you will need to
fiddle with the class changes to Interpreter if you choose to build
an older unix VM
at the pre beta VMMaker-tpr-37.mcz level, and the update to
declareCVarsIn:, and initializeInterpreter:.

The two instance variables I added are:
"vmStatsTraceMessageSendLevels vmStatsTraceMessageSendStorageFile"

c) I've posted a SqueakMethodTrace_2_3.8.9b7.app.zip file to ftp://
ftp.smalltalkconsulting.com for the mac users to field test.

On 29-Oct-05, at 5:22 AM, Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> John:
> Forget my previous mail.
> I found the .txt.
> Very, very thanks for this work.
> Still wish know if I could start/stop the profiling for I choose what
> profile.
>
> Edgar

===
===