Curiosity gets the better of me

Bob.Cowdery at CGI-Europe.com Bob.Cowdery at CGI-Europe.com
Sun Oct 30 13:13:17 UTC 2005

Thanks to everyone that responded.

It appears that although Squeak is moving in a direction of more
conventional development tools it's still in that transitional phase. In a
sense I don't want conventional, but I do want usable.

>From the suggestions I can see that things that BobsUI and Tweak offer
possibilities (thanks Simon). I will have to investigate further.

I can also see that creating small functional morphs and just have them
free-range in the project space has advantages for what I am doing (thanks
Herbert). One perennial problem with standard builders or even coded layouts
is real estate and having only what you need visible. Even using layout
managers does not solve this problem unless there is only one resizable
window. For a complex display with fixed areas of widgets , graphic areas
for graphs etc, a tree view and tabbed panes for all sorts of applets and
options it becomes very hard to get a good looking display under all
circumstances so just having fragments that work together could be a good
move.

Alexandre suggests using Seaside. Funny you should say that. I have looked
at Seaside before and ran through the latest tutorial a few days ago. I like
it a lot and the idea that a web app is easier to develop and more flexible
than a desktop app certainly turns conventional thinking on its head. I need
to dig deeper into this.

Dave makes some suggestions about interfacing which I need to try out. Do I
take it that squeak has built in distribution facilities?

Of the things that didn't get answered I thing there are two:

1.	If I build a morph, say just a bunch of buttons to control one
aspect of my interface how do I generate code from that or do I just write
code in the first place?
2.	How do I get rid of morphs that give continuous 'message not
understood' every time I mouse over them?

Thanks

Bob

*** Confidentiality Notice *** Proprietary/Confidential
Information belonging to CGI Group Inc. and its affiliates
may be contained in this message. If you are not a recipient
indicated or intended in this message (or responsible for
delivery of this message to such person), or you think for
any reason that this message may have been addressed to you
in error, you may not use or copy or deliver this message
to anyone else.  In such case, you should destroy this
message and are asked to notify the sender by reply email.