RFC: let's simplify mantis bug severities

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 21:09:11 UTC 2005

On 10/30/05, Simon Michael <simon at joyful.com> wrote:
> - there is no "normal" severity. Some issues are neither minor nor major.

I think - I hope, in fact - that that was done on purpose. It is good
to have no default, because it forces people to make a decision about
what kind of bug they're logging. If you have "major, normal, minor",
you'll find that most bugs will be logged as "normal" because people
are hesitant to flag something as major and probably expect minor
stuff never to be solved anyway ;). With "major, minor", they have to
make up their mind...

I do agree that there's little logic in the current categories, that
could be done better.