Traits approaching mainstream Squeak

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at cableone.net
Thu Sep 1 04:41:34 UTC 2005

Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM wrote:

> Hi Jimmie,
>
> Wow!  Talk about an effective argument.  I digest this into:
>  "You said.... and Traits supports this, so it is good."  It's nice
> (and sobering) to know that people actually read my blather.

Thanks. I am always somewhat tentative in replying to a professional in
their area of expertise. Especially when I lack in that area. :)

[snip
> If I could wish for only one single improvement to Squeak, it would
> be better send performance.  I've looked at this problem on and off
> for a while now, but as for you, Squeak is mostly a personal thing
> for me (DSP and media streaming for VoIP is the day job), and I
> haven't yet come up with anything better than what Squeak currently
> has.  My best ideas just take too much memory to be acceptable (to me).

Squeak is mostly a personal thing for me also. But I am hoping to have a
commercial website out in the near future using Squeak.

I too would love to see Squeak perform better. But there are times I am
amazed at how well Squeak stacks up and wish that a fraction of the
energy (misplaced I think) in other projects was directed toward Squeak.
(Oh too strike it rich and be a benefactor! :)

When I look at the memory consumption and performance of things like
Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird, most any email client or web browser. Or
most even any desktop app, especially those with non-native UI toolkits
such as wxWidgets, ...    And then I open up my fully bloated, got lots
of workspaces, browsers, etc... open Squeak, and see how well its doing
comparitively.

If we can keep Squeak from bloating more, and rather improve image size,
memory consumption and speed. Woohoo. The world will probably go by
bloating up, while Squeak can advantage itself to the ever increasing
performance and memory availability of even the smallest of systems like
your phone. :)

With things like Exupery, Spoon, Morphic cleaning, Tweak, possibly
Traits, et al. I think the future is very bright. Hang in there.

> It still bothers me that we have telephones now with megabytes of
> RAM in them.  There's more computer in the phone on my desk now than
> there was in the computer on my desk not so many years ago.

Yup. When am I going to be able to remove all the games, organizers,
etc. from my cell phone that I don't use and install Squeak. :)
Oh well, my phone doesn't provide me with an interface that I even care
to type text messages let alone do much else. But who knows what
interfaces will be available in the future that Squeak can take
advantage of.

> Anyway, Thank You.

Your welcome. Nice dialogue.

Jimmie