Newbie remark concerning Smalltalk programming in (german) Squeak (Squeakland 3.8.5976)

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Thu Sep 1 12:50:39 UTC 2005

Hello Uwe,

H> until today I wandered how to program Smalltalk in Squeak.

you know how to program smalltalk in other environments?

H> How frustrating it is, if the first program (Hello world) doesn't work!

Try the squeak.org and the swiki, there are lots of working tutorials.

H> With 'ALT-D' (on an Windows-PC) i tried to execute. Something happened but
H> nothing was displayed
H> in the Transcript window.

H> Meanwhile I found out that first I have to 'select' the code that has to be
H> executed!
H> Then everything works as expected.

H> Could someone explain it?

Actually it's helpful. You have a workspace with many snippets of
code, select one or many and 'ALT-D' does it. Well each expression
must be terminated by a '.' to work on many expressions.

As long as it is a single smalltalk expression it may be multiline and
just putting the cursor into it 'ALT-D' will do it.

Where are you situated in Germany? I'm near Darmstadt, relatively new
to squeak and doing something together might help both of us.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net