Distributed Objects

Michaël Piel piel at ensm-douai.fr
Fri Sep 2 17:07:20 UTC 2005

Hello,

We have planned to make a distributed computing project and we want to use distributed objects in Squeak.

I am currently making a synthesis and an evaluation of a few frameworks by comparing them with various criterions. We imperatively need high-level distributed objects, like "Distributed Smalltalk" for VisualWorks but in Squeak, and not just "sockets".

The main criterions are :
- naming service
- synchronous and asynchronous calls
- remote message transport as copy and reference
- distributed GC

Here is the list of the frameworks we are testing :
- rST (Remote SmallTalk)
- RMT (Remote Messaging Toolkit)
- OperaORB-native
- Ma Client Server

I would like to know if there are other frameworks which could satisfy these criterions.

Any suggestions are welcome,
Michael