Open season on Traits (bugs) (was: Traits demo image)

Daniel Vainsencher daniel.vainsencher at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 06:37:18 UTC 2005

Since some people have been giving actual feedback, and managing
feedback by email is really not that effective, we've opened a new
Traits category for bugs under Mantis, under the Squeak category.

Please feel free to stuff it full of high quality bug reports, if
they're in Mantis we won't lose them.

David Shaffer wrote:
>     1) I cannot, at a glance tell, where a given class is getting its
> implementation of a method.  This makes it a lot more cognatively
> difficult to decide _where_ to edit source.  Some visual indicators are
> desparately needed here.
Sure. These correspond to the -own- virtual method category, and
"provided selectors appear in green" features of the Prototype image.
These are not hard to do in the OB, and were pretty much planned, and
are clearly really needed. They are mentioned in the first bug report in
the Traits category, which I've entered myself at:
http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=1762

You're welcome to add details there if you feel the need.

Note that at least some of this functionality needs to be in the
Debugger, so people don't override methods when they think they are
fixing them, but this is not on my agenda. Help will be welcome on this
front after the merge.

>    2) If I browse implementors of the method #name, I get a hierarchy
> showing me that Object implements name and below it (and properly
> indented) I can see who overrode that version.  This paradigm is not
> followed with Traits, however.  In the example from part 1 if I override
> #name in OBTraitTransformationNode I get no visual indication in the
> implementors browser that said "user" of the trait TTraitNodeDisplay
> overrides its method.  In my opinion OBTraitTransformationNode should be
> listed twice (once in the Object hierarch and once in the
> TTraitNodeDisplay hierarchy).
Well, like it or not, Traits do change the situation we used to have
where overrides lived in hierarchy. So while what you propose is
certainly one way to deal with things, I'm not sure its the best, and at
the moment I feel like more experience is needed to decide which is. You
can still report it on mantis, of course.

>     3) If I browse references to a trait I get an empty list (I think it
> should show all class defs which "use" the trait)
Ah. That makes sense. Please report this one on Mantis

>     4) There are bugs.  Just doing a find (alt-f in the class category
> panel) and entering a trait name raises a debugger for me.
Yes, this one is already fixed in my image, will get pushed out next time.

> Thanks for this exciting work!
Thank you for straight-to-the-point feedback!

Daniel