The leaders (was Re: Smalltalk and Self)

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Sep 4 07:28:33 UTC 2005

On 4 sept. 05, at 07:05, Victor Rodriguez wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 2005/9/3, stéphane ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch>:
>
>> But we are working. Read the 3.9 roadmap and you will see where
>> squeak is moving for
>> at least the next 6 months: we will have a better squeak for all
>> kinds of reasons.
>>

> Yes, I have seen it now.  I have also noted that you are one of the
> most active persons in Squeak, getting things done for it. (BTW, I
> have enjoyed your website and papers, but specially the free books.
> I'd like to express my most heartfelt THANKS for them!)

Soon you will get a way to thank us....The squeakFoundation web site
is nearly
ready....I'm so frustrated not to see things happening...but this is
coming.
You will see, I hope that people will like it and support it.

Thanks. But been active is easy, just take a small task and do it,
beat it
until it does not move anymore, then pass to the second one.

>> Now just start and ask if you can help.
>>

> Yes, I should help. I did have in mind to mention in my email that the
> new website should have a good 'get involved' section, that makes it
> easy for people to do something at various levels.

Yes Good idea.
Jason told me that they are nearly ready to get the web site public.
I think also that we should stop to have the syndrome of the 100% ready
and accept that we should live with 75, then 80, then 90, then 95%
of the stuff done. Better 75% than 0.

> For me an obvious choice is the wiki, since it is probably the easiest
> way to do something. However, with what I have learnt this past days
> with these discussions I find that I'm attracted to the ToolBuilder
> project. (I have been trying to learn the MVC framework, and I'm
> bothered that some things do not work inside a MVC project, like the
> refactoring browser for which I have been keeping a morphic world
> open).
>
> So, how can I help the ToolBuilders?

Take 3.9alpha latest version, you will see that there are
Inspector
and InspectorPlus

InspectorPlus has been reimplemented using the Toolbuilder framework.
Now we would like to migrate all the functionality from Inspector to
InspectorPlus
and get rid of Inspector and rename InspectorPlus into Inspector.
However some functionality are missing (since the code evolved over
time) in InspectorPlus.
So if you can slowly (or fast) but steadily check that...this would
be really great.

Stef