The leaders (was Re: Smalltalk and Self)

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Sep 5 11:46:05 UTC 2005

Hi blake

Let me explain why we have three wikis.
originally there was

Swiki:
     Pros: stable, easy to install
     Cons: not really well coded, difficult to extend

We contacted the maintainer to know if he was willing to incorporate
our changes and he said no.
SWiki was cool the way it was.

So we decided to build our own but to build it in OO fashion with the
idea
of having a cool wiki that we can extend in all kind of directions
(for kids, or teachers...)
This is SmallWiki.
SmallWiki was developed in VisualWorks and we never ported it to
squeak nor really tested
(except for the Seaside website). SmallWiki represents around one
year of development and the
code is good and robust.

Now luaks started to rethink the design and create a new version from
scratch because he learned
in the process and soon we will have a better version of SmallWiki.
SmallWiki 2 is developed in
Squeak so this version will be officially maintained and enh.

But now if the community wants to use something else, please do.
But do it because I was at the origin of the new website and I regret
that I did not do it myself
on our server. But sometimes I need to sleep too.

Stef