type checking

Trygve Reenskaug trygver at ifi.uio.no
Tue Sep 6 08:32:06 UTC 2005

One perspective on Traits:
   "A Trait can be used as an interface definition with default methods"
This use of Traits :
¤ is independent of class
¤ can be used as a high level hint as to message semantics
¤ can preserve encapsulation because class-dependent details can be hidden
in class specific sub-methods
¤ does not preclude other uses of Traits
¤ need not be compulsory everywhere
---
I once compared using Java and Smalltalk collection classes. The Java
versions filled about twice as many lines; the code being cluttered with
type information that almost completely hid the what the code actually did.

I once reviewed a large number of methods in a commercial Smalltalk
product. I found many type errors. Almost all were trivial, the most usual
being that a method returned a wrong type on error (typically nil or self).
I did not find any deep, logical type errors.

I have limited experience with Java, but find that I have to use type
casting whenever the logic gets complicated. So the Java type system helps
me in the trivial cases but not when the program gets complex.

I concluded that Java helped me find trivial errors, but camouflaged the
hard ones. Smalltalk  code is easier to read so it is easier to avoid the
deep type errors. I prefer Smalltalk when I have to make a choice.

I currently believe we need some kind of type system in Squeak. It should
probably be voluntary, to be used at the programmer's discretion. It should
express semantic intent as well as signature. It should honor encapsulation.

It could be fruitful to explore Traits as a typing system to be used to
clarify complex logic and to be ignored in simple cases. For example, it
could be used to define the provided interfaces of a Tweak Island, giving a
high level documentation of what the island does as well as enabling
powerful tools for island composition. It could also be used to define the
APIs of a package. (Many people in the Squeak community use the term "API"
to mean something that does not include an explicit interface definition.
This usage is very confusing to the uninitiated).

Cheers
--Trygve

Trygve Reenskaug      mailto: trygver at ifi.uio.no
Morgedalsvn. 5A       http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver
N-0378 Oslo           Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27
Norway