MVC killed?

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Sep 6 09:27:40 UTC 2005

Am 06.09.2005 um 11:10 schrieb Mayuresh Kathe:

> Hello,
>
> I'm returning to Squeak after a long time.
>
> I was show a demo using the 3.6.5429 image, vm and sources.

Squeak 3.6 is quite old... really old. There were many fixes for
MVC added in 3.7 and 3.8.

> I remember the last time I was around, there was talk about retiring
> MVC totally in favour of Morphic, has that finally happened?
> If yes, thats really sad.

If there are bugs in MVC it's because nowbody fixed them. And this is
because
nobody uses it.

You might want to have a look at the bug-tracker (http://
bugs.impara.de) and help
fixing those that have been reported.

We have exactly three:

0001430 [BUG]Flaps disappearing when creating MVC project (version
3.8-6665)
0001406 Expression debug in workspace crashes in MVC
0001032 MVC does not like a mouse with scroll wheel

Either it's quite usable in 3.9a or there are simply no MVC users left.

So the question is: Does it really make sense to have MVC around
forever?
It makes lots of things really complicated (But toolbuilder will help
here...)
Do we get back enough for retaining this complexity?

     Marcus