The leaders (was Re: Smalltalk and Self)

Victor Rodriguez victor.palique at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 05:24:15 UTC 2005

Hello Jonathan,

2005/9/4, Jonathan Kelly <jonkelly at fastmail.fm>:
> Hi List,
> I can back you up there. I've been looking at smalltalk for a new

Thanks!

> If there is no reason that I currently don't understand why squeak
> couldn't be pared back, I'm willing to give it a go, but I'll need
> pointers. I can't think of a better way to learn how it all fits
> together. I have some ideas from my research so far, but the the whole
> image thing, if not completely "black" box, is still quite dark grey!

>From what I can gather, it used to be possible to shrink the image,
but it is not clear to me whether you can still do it. However, I
believe the MorphicSplitters team's purpose is to modularize Morphic,
so that we can have an image with Morphic but no eToys an others.

In the meanwhile, you might want to try the shrink script from Boris
Gaertner. It works as advertised and you end up with an image whose
size is 1.7 M (and a 3.7M sources file), although on the end you
really have a very basic image. The script is at:

http://bgaertner.gmxhome.de/Shrink36.html

BTW, Boris Gaertner also has a very fine MVC tutorial:

http://bgaertner.gmxhome.de/MVCtutorial.htm

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Victor Rodriguez.