The leaders (was Re: Smalltalk and Self)

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Wed Sep 7 06:44:40 UTC 2005

Hi all!

Victor Rodriguez <victor.palique at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hola!
>
> 2005/9/5, goran at krampe.se <goran at krampe.se>:
> > Hi Victor and all!
> >
> > Victor Rodriguez <victor.palique at gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> > The Coordinator group is the "clear leadership" right now. We have been
> > in a slump though, and we admit it, well Marcus and Doug have been
> > putting in hours but me and Cees for example have been quite busy with
> > our private lives. We intend to do something about this though (not
> > clear just yet exactly what).
>
> From what I can see now, you guys are managing quite well. It just
> needs to be more apparent!

A post-summer report is coming soon. :) And also - when we get the new
website up these things will be clearer.

> [snip]
> >
> > Well, the Swiki tends to come a bit down the prio list. It is huge and
> > IMHO very hard to keep up to date so lots of us don't really bother. And
> > the fact is that Swikis tend to make people afraid of deleting old info
> > because you don't know who is the author and if you will upset that
> > person or not.
>
> This is all so true..  Even at work, where we are only a few, the wiki
> takes a lot of effort to keep up to date.

Personally I like the additional hierarchy structure that I use in my
own wiki-implementation, it makes it much easier to create a mental
"map" of the wiki in the head, and thus to keep track which parts are
ok, and which are not. A graph is much harder to keep track of. :)

> > So I don't have a good answer to what we should do to improve the Swiki
> > (a part of the obvious need to devote a few hours to it of course and
> > fix some of the glaring problems).
> >
> > Perhaps someone could arrange a CleanUpSqueakSwikiWeek? That would be
> > great. Care to help doing that? (you knew it was coming, didn't ya? :))
>
> Well, I knew this was coming from the moment I decided to start typing
> :-) As a matter of fact, it is the reason why I held back so long!

:) No problem, we all know how scarce free time is, and that it can
change from week to week.

> As I mentioned in another post, I only get only a few precious hours
> to devote to Smalltalk, so somebody else will have to organize this
> for the time being. I'll try to update wiki pages as I see them,
> though.

Goodie.

> > Well, we are all listening, and we mostly are aware of the problems.
> > Now, the best thing you can do is to join in and help us. The website
> > Team for example - why not join that list and help out?
>
> Alright, I joined that list too, no need to twist arms! :-)

I am one of the cheif-arm-twisters you know. Just trying to do it with
enough smileys. ;)

regards, Göran