[ANN] Squeak Videos

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Sep 7 08:06:39 UTC 2005

Hi

> Stef,
>
> I can see that you and the others from Uni Bern have become quite
> active in enhancing Squeak, is there a certain amount of
> coordination between you and other "big names" of the squeak
> community, like

Most of the time yes...

>     -Andreas Raab (Uni Magdeburg)
>     -Mark Guzdial (GA Tech?)

Mark is out now.

>     -Impara

Yes we are working with Bert on squeaksource extensions (we use his
extensions :)).

> or is everyone here rolling their own?

We are paying attention to collect fixes and enh as much as possible
and this is working ok.
Some people do not want to have changes, other wants to only have
their changes, other
do not think that cleaning is really worth (and that we are doing
random refactoring),....
but all in all I guess that with a bit more communication, monticello
use, we are going in the right
direction. Our intention is not to develop our own fork (of course
this would be so easy to
let Squeak abandoned and only focus on our research topics and have
fun) but to make sure
that the core is improving and that other people can develop their
own world and wealth.
I hope that in the future we will be able to use Tweak on top of
Squeak for example.
But for the moment we should get rolling 3.9alpha

and for that we need the help of the community to go to mantis and
check the fixes, propose
fixes.... So you also can participate to make squeak better.

> Not even to mention people like Avi Bryant.

In 3.9 we introduced fastSocketStream.... so seasiders are of real
importance for me :)