Publishing on Monticello

Tom Phoenix rootbeer at redcat.com
Wed Sep 7 16:34:39 UTC 2005

On 9/7/05, Jason Rogers <jacaetevha at fast-mail.org> wrote:

> Create a package that starts with the name of the Category that contains
> your classes.  For instance, for our code all of our categories start
> with RiskMetrics, so I have a main RiskMetrics package that receives
> those changes.  In addition you can add a "*<Category Name>" as a
> MethodCategory (note that it starts with an asterisk).  The Monticello
> package will pick up those changes as Extensions.

Thanks; between this and other postings, I've been able to get started
with Monticello. And now I'm enlightened on the leading asterisks in
so many category names.

In the change set that I'm trying to publish, in addition to new
classes and new methods in existing classes, I've made a number of
changes to minor methods of various unrelated classes. I am moving
each of the changed methods to category "*MyClassName", which gets
Monticello to notice them. But I feel that this can't be the right
thing to do with existing methods, since the original category names
are being lost. Am I on the wrong track here?

--Tom Phoenix