Traits, OmniBrowser and ToolBuilder

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Sep 9 14:57:28 UTC 2005

Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> Traits depends on OmniBrowser (well, if you want to see the traits,
> anyway), and OB depends on Morphic. Of course these days, what it should
> do is depend on ToolBuilder. Unfortunately, it has some non-standard
> morph stuff in it. The non-standard feature can be seen in the OB
> "implementors of", when in chase mode, you get dynamic columns.

Dynamic columns are perfectly supported by ToolBuilder - have a look at
the examples at http://squeaksource.com/ToolBuilder.html and in
particular the FileListPlus example. This provides dynamic buttons (in
columns) so you'll get the idea.

> I think putting the OB in the image early in the alpha phase is
> important, because we want it to start getting testing and enhancement
> before the Traits related aspects come into the picture.

I disagree. OB (and other major frameworks) should go in "full" not in
"basic" as there is nothing basic about them.

Cheers,
   - Andreas