Hint: If your Win32 Squeak behaves slow, check your antivirus!

Peter Crowther Peter at ozzard.org
Fri Sep 9 23:06:04 UTC 2005

> From: [...] goran at krampe.se
> Eventually I tracked it down to the opening of the .changes/.sources
> files as readonly. But why would a file open prim take 3 secs? Hehe,
> well, my NOD32 antivirus program was checking files being opened!
>
> In NOD32 you can create exceptions based on extension etc, so
> that made it go away.

I'm also on the CVSNT list, where there are irregular complaints about
NOD32 being sufficiently slow that it can cause filesystem requests to
time out and hence CVS to fail to maintain a repository correctly -
unpleasant but easy to detect at best, insidious at worst.  It seems to
be the worst of the AV systems for this.

		- Peter