New edition of LookEnhancements

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Sep 11 11:36:25 UTC 2005

My point is not to hardcode colors but to have a look that does not
make people:
     faint
     close squeak
     look at us like idiot

Imagine that squeak look would be really cool (like the one of mac os
x) then
suddenly ***we all** would be much cooler and the guys using a really
cool
system and not just a bunch of fanatics of a dead language

On 11 sept. 05, at 04:45, Chris Muller wrote:

>> What I would love is to have another color than the pale green one
>> for the browser.
>> May be having a simpler color scheme would help unifying the look. I
>> liked blue/orange
>>

> May we not hard-code any more colors though, please?  Everyone has
> different
> preferences on colors, and no system I know today offers the user full
> flexibility on color-schemes, but they should.
>
> The work I did with "inverteBright" took us a step closer to
> elimination of
> several hard-coded colors by instead asking Preferences.
> Unfortunately, I
> received not one feedback in two attempts to ask about
> inverteBright.  Not even
> an aesthetic comment about the screenshot
>
>   http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5729

This is interesting. I was not aware of this one

> which shows how nice it is to use the #textHighlightColor as the
> color for list
> and menu selections too.  It's quite nice that anything "selected"
> by the user
> indicates its selection with a consistent color.

Yes

> A private email to John Pierce about all this is what sparked the huge
> "LookEnhancements enhancement" thread last month and the whole idea
> of its
> inclusion in base 3.9.

What would be nice is to get rid of the old not used themes whose
preferences should
creeping in the system and have a theme engine used everywhere.

Stef