Using name instead of initials

Samir Saidani saidani at info.unicaen.fr
Mon Sep 12 18:45:41 UTC 2005

Hi steph !

This issue was already discussed here :
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-January/072936.html

I agree with you, but I think we don't need to ask for an agreement :
just replace your initials sd by 'StephaneDucasse'. Then you can use
the "ENH - Giving Information" browser addon to have further
information... as email, web, name, and so one... There could be a
problem when two people has the same name/initials, as
'DavidSmith'. So we should enhance the way we tackle this story of
initials/name.

Some people wants initials and other wants something more explicit. I
think that the economic way is to choose by default something like
'DavidSmith' which is more explicit than 'ds' : 'StephaneDucasse'
encodes more information than 'sd', and we don't need to make a
connection to SqueakMap to know the name : so it is economic.

But when we enter for the first time the name or initials, squeak must
ask to squeakmap if this name is already in use, so the second David
Smith must choose another name, like 'David Smith bis' or something
like that... To add in the TODO list !

Cheers,
Samir