A post about SqueakL

Tom Hoffman tom.hoffman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 22:30:02 UTC 2005

On 9/12/05, Giovanni Corriga <giovanni at corriga.net> wrote:

> According to a message sent by Alan Kay to this list
> ( http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2003-August/065270.html )
> there is no Disney owned code in the versions distributed by
> SqueakCentral. If this is true, things would be really simpler: Apple is
> more open source friendly than Disney.

I'm sure a number of long term participants in this mailing list are
groaning in horror at the prospect of resurrecting the thread (which I
just read for the first time) where this comment first appeared.

The above referenced post by Alan is, unfortuantely, another hazy
chapter in this fog-enshrouded tale.  If I was to guess what Alan
meant (admittedly, a waste of time) I'd say that he meant that Disney
*content* (e.g., Mickey Mouse) was removed from Squeak, but not
necessarily the code.

Does anyone know who owns which parts of Squeak?  More importantly, is
that written down anywhere?

--Tom