About MAC VM

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Sep 13 04:40:48 UTC 2005

John M McIntosh wrote:
> Well yes I could attempt to handle it in the VM, but that's quite a  bit
> of C code that has minimal folks supporting, and in case of
> bugs few folks that would fix it, plus of course the upgrade path  isn't
> automatic, one must download a new VM from somewhere.

Agreed. Yet ...

> If everything is in the image then fixing it becomes a bit easier,
> plus you then can handle the case of what you want it to do, open a  new
> application, start the simulated interpreter, look at the bytes?

... with this solution the reaction to a double-click depends on the
image you are currently running. In other words, double clicking on
another image while running Squeak 3.9 would work but double clicking on
an image while running Croquet or Squeakland (3.8 based) would not. Ouch ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas