Running Squeak as NT Service does not work in newer Win32 VM's

Jack Keel jhkeel at wisc.edu
Tue Sep 13 23:05:02 UTC 2005

Torsten,

I had a similar problem with Squeak just hanging as a -service on our
Windows Server 2003 box using recent VMs. And I too have been running
the old Swiki's as a service without problem for years.  I beat on it
for a few hours and got it to work.  I don't have a changeset but can
recount what I did.

1.  I needed to specify ImageFile in my Squeak.ini.
     e.g.,  ImageFile="c:\JHK\winterlong\squeak.image"
2.  I ran the Squeak dos startup command without the -service parm so
that I could see the error (I tried it with and without -headless and
both worked, differently, but sufficiently well).
3.  I was getting a message from CodeLauncher about no content available
4.  I patched the code to test for ifNotNil

Here is a copy of my changes - sorry don't have a changeset and I
didn't have full source so I've got tx for variable names.  But I now
have my new Winterlong Swiki code running as a service on Windows
Server 2003.  I'm sure there is a better fix for this but checking for
nil was sufficient to get my Swikis running.

CodeLauncher>>installSourceFiles
	| t2 |
	sourceFiles
		ifNil: [^ self].
	sourceFiles
		do: [:t1 | t1
				ifNotNil: [t2 _ t1 contentStream.
					t2
						ifNotNil: [self installSourceFile: t2]]].
	sourceFiles _ nil

Jack