Squeak Foundation Tasks and some important clarifications

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Sep 14 18:26:07 UTC 2005

Hi guys

The email was originally targeted to the people that expressed their
will to participate to the squeakFoundation ie:
brad at sonaural.com, christophe.tricot at univ-savoie.fr,
klaus.witzel at cobss.ch, krivanek at comtalk.net
and I hesitated to send this mail to everybody, but I feel that it is
important after discussing with daniel.

I want to let you know that our objectives is not to get all the
power. We did the foundation because
we wanted to provide a better organization to Squeak development. In
particular we want to put in place an organization
that structures Squeak growth. Our goal at the end is to be able to
redraw from the core organization and that the development and
process continues. At the end of the day we like compilers and MOPs
and hacking in Squeak.

***Our goal is that if YOU want to participate you can and have fun
and satisfaction doing it.***

But we wanted to protect our times from "customers having too much
needs and not enough help to offer". Daniel is thinking that we
concentrate all the powers (I would say too much responsibilities)
and I propose him to propose a way to let people participate in the
organization (see the task list below).

This is a long mail (I do not like them but this one is important so
please read it).

Here are the tasks for which we are looking people for:

     - PR person: we need someone to do announce in the press/blog/
squeakFoundation and Squeak news
     I like the reports made by Giovanno (I guess) and goran but we
need someone to report in the direction of the outside.
     Following the same way having an editor for the wiki/website to
have consistency is important too. Klaus you seemed
     interested into that so let us know.

     - sending letters to supporters (noury made some Word document
with variables for that and I did some latex templates)

     - managing the merchandising
             Tim gave us the permission to use the squeak logos he
did.  I did some logos for the
             squeakfoundation and I gave them to the
squeakfoundation, I will try to find some time
             to make specific logoes for supporters.
             I asked bert to know if we can use his balloon for
merchandising.
             Pavel could we use your balloon (the swiss one, savoie
one for merchandising)

     - maintaining the mailing-lists:
         we need a supporter mailing-list so that we can contact the
supporters
         we would like to have someone else to maintain the sqf
mailing-list not because this is tedious or a bad job
         but because we do not want to give the impression that we
are concentrating all the power.

     - managing the CD/DVDs kind of Squeak Distribution
             Until recently this is mainly alex and marcus
(originally me using an old cd) that build the esug
             then the squeak cd. Having a group of people working on
an offer would be great:
                 for teachers (with the slides ready to use - I made
new slides and videos that can be used)
                 for etoyer
                 for videos
             The idea is that we should have different offers so that
organizations having money (universities)
             can pay a squeak distro the same way they pay other
software but at the same time have Squeak
             distribution for individuals.

     - setting up a way to have kind of elections: daniel suggested
that we have a kind of election mechanism. We
     are not against as soon as there is a minimal entry level:
voting people should have the credit to do it (because
     they did something for squeak or with squeak....). Now we do not
have the time to work on that.
     But we are really ready to follow a simple and efficient schema.
     Our goal is that people feel involved and I realized that we
certainly gave the wrong impression here because
     we were too impatient (more than 8 months) and wanted to make
things moving. But people like us
     spending a lot of time should be protected too or they will leave.

     - Defining a way to collect and sort the actions that the
squeakfoundation wants to enable
       dumping what we had in mind was:
             - book support
             - presentation at conference support
             - dev support
             - media support....
     I think that here we should have a board to vote on budget (we
do that within ESUG and it works)
     but for that we need money :)

     - Define a way to collect and sort the fix and important stuff
to develop for the community
             for example, investigating the semaphore problems of
certain vm, the weak array problems
             improving Squeaksource or MC,
             supporting the harvesting fixing process,
             are the kinds of problems I have in mind

     - Defining a process to take actions: I thought that every month
we could get a target, budget it if
     necessary and achieving it. Then reporting it and stop with
target requiring money when there is
     no money anymore.

     - Having a Squeak portal/FAQ/ is important. As soon as the new
website is up and running, cleaning and
     migrating the wiki would be an important task. I know that some
of you express the ideas of cleaning
     the squeak swiki.

     - Moving squeakfoundation to www.squeakfoundation.org when the
new squeak web site is running.
     I will help jason to port the new squeak web site to a new wiki
server then I plan to migrate the squeak
     foundation web site. May be paying the guy of squeak.de to
maintain the web site could be an idea.

     - We need two key keepers: the ideas is that each time we create
an account for anything, we send
     these persons the pass and crucial information to avoid to be in
the situation that happened with the
     first version of the website.

     - Making a separate organisation with statues.

     - Contact companies to support the squeak foundation

We like the coordinator and team model so the sqfoundation does not
want to subsitute it: goran
even if we were afraid about it at the beginning is doing a good job
and the model seems to work.

Stef

I will start teaching from next week so I will be less reactive but
still commited