Publishing on Monticello

Michaël Piel piel at ensm-douai.fr
Fri Sep 16 08:40:43 UTC 2005

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 09:34:39 -0700
Tom Phoenix <rootbeer at redcat.com> wrote:

> On 9/7/05, Jason Rogers <jacaetevha at fast-mail.org> wrote:
>
> > Create a package that starts with the name of the Category that contains
> > your classes.  For instance, for our code all of our categories start
> > with RiskMetrics, so I have a main RiskMetrics package that receives
> > those changes.  In addition you can add a "*<Category Name>" as a
> > MethodCategory (note that it starts with an asterisk).  The Monticello
> > package will pick up those changes as Extensions.
>
> Thanks; between this and other postings, I've been able to get started
> with Monticello. And now I'm enlightened on the leading asterisks in
> so many category names.
>
> In the change set that I'm trying to publish, in addition to new
> classes and new methods in existing classes, I've made a number of
> changes to minor methods of various unrelated classes. I am moving
> each of the changed methods to category "*MyClassName", which gets
> Monticello to notice them. But I feel that this can't be the right
> thing to do with existing methods, since the original category names
> are being lost. Am I on the wrong track here?

You can also use the "override" method to do that. put your changed methods in a category named "*<YourPackageName>-<originalCategoryName>-override". Thus, These changed methods will be put as *Extensions in your package but the original package will not appear as modified in the monticello browser (wich is interesting if you made this package a dependency of yours). And finally, if you unload your package the orignal methods you changed will be restored.

Hope it helps (and is not too late...)
Michael