eCompletion, 0001678 and keymapping

David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Sat Sep 17 20:53:10 UTC 2005

Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> we (the hauswarterin = caretaker = lonely harvesters) would like to
> have in 3.9 as external packages
> but certain loaded together:
>
>     eCompletion
>     keymapping
>     and the enh of romain for navigating menus
>
> So it would be nice if you guys could have a look at the latest
> version of 3.9alpha (upgrade the packages)
> Monday we will produce a new release and check how your stuff could
> work nicely together and
> identify what should be push in the kernel to make your package life
> easier.
>
> Stef

Stef,

I am going to publish a version of Keymapping for 3.8/3.9.  It will be
on SM in the next two hours...I hope that is soon enough for you to have
a look.  It seems like you're having a fit of productivity right now
:-)  This release will not have the overrides for tool support so you
will not be able to customize the tool keymaps, for example.  This is a
big step backwards compared to 3.6/3.7 but until an application/tool
framework develops I don't want to maintain my overrides.  I see the
3.6/3.7 version of Keymapping to be "proof of concept" that we can have
completely customizable keymaps for our tools.  Services takes this one
step further so hopefully it will emerge as the solution.  If the
long-term intent is to keep these out of the "base" image then we really
need to spend time to make the current tool framework more introspective
for add-ons such as Keymapping and Services.  I would rather see them
both in the base, though, and will do whatever I can to help.

David