Publishing on Monticello

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Sat Sep 17 21:58:29 UTC 2005

Am 17.09.2005 um 00:44 schrieb Martin Wirblat:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> ..
>
>> If it is only one method, a .mcd relative to the "official"
>> version  is very small.
>
> But you still need the package against which the .mcd goes for

Not sure what you mean. You would have that package anyway because
it's official, no?

>>> For private use this may not look much different. For instance,
>>> I  am regularly "fixing some inflexibilities of the official
>>> image"  before I use it, by overriding some things of the UI and
>>> perhaps  other things. Is that better done by creating some big
>>> modified  versions of original packages just because of a few
>>> changed  methods? When the next image - or worse the next interim
>>> update -  comes out, I would have to sort out my few changes from
>>> the  possibly many official changes applied to the package in the
>>> meantime.
>>>
>> Monticello is designed to allow precisely this style of
>> development.  You just merge your version with the official
>> version and you're  done. As a developer you should of course
>> enable the #upgradeIsMerge  preference.
>
> Would it extract the methods I am going to override, that have
> changed since I replaced them originally?

When merging, MC will show you methods with conflicts, that is, which
were modified both by you and by the other version.

>>> For all other purposes that want to derive from a master but
>>> want  to develop with the master (and that is the standard case),
>>> some  sort of "delta functionality" is needed. This delta should
>>> be as  smoothly as possible addable to the next version of the
>>> master,  because this work has to be done manifold (by the
>>> millions of the  future, that are going to use Squeak:)
>>>
>> Like .mcd?
>
> Like being able to get (only) the hot spot methods presented, the
> overrides whose originals changed in the meantime, so that they are
> now not overriding anymore what they did when being programmed.

See above (or my previous message to Stef) - MC will highlight these
methods for you.

> Moreover I would like to have only one "delta-package" for one
> official release and not many mcd-files which I would to have
> handle one by one.

You mean a single file for multiple packages? Why?

>>> Monticello seems to me not being so well suited for this task.
>>> Either it should be accompanied by a module system like the one
>>> of  Henrik, or perhaps it is sufficient that it will be extended
>>> with  this delta functionality.
>>>
>> It seems to me you're just not comfortable using Monticello, yet.
>> This may point out an interface problem. I'm open to suggestions
>> (or  even better, code).
>>

> Yes, there is an interface problem. It starts with the bubble help
> repeating what the buttons "merge" and "load" themselves say.
> Unfortunately I don't know exactly what "load" and "merge" means,
> so I can't send you code ;)

"Load" discards your own changes and loads the new version. "Merge"
preserves your local modifications and applies changes done since the
"fork" (where your version and the other version diverged).

- Bert -