Parsing Numbers

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Sep 18 05:05:32 UTC 2005

On 17-Sep-05, at 5:17 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> And because Smalltalk is the holy cow we can't possibly change
> anything. Yes, I know. I've heard that tune so often... but
> anyways, I'll give it one more shot: How about compatibility? In
> VisualWorks, for example, it is indeed the fact that "16r1E4 =
> 16r1e4". Wouldn't it be nice if hex constants written in
> VisualWorks can be *correctly* read into Squeak?
>
> Regards,
>   - Andreas

Somehow the real issue is that 16r1e4 is a magic number only
understood by the gurus, this of course is wrong and should not have
magic or unexpected behaviour.
Having been bitten from the same issue...

Even if you had the compiler warn you that e4 is different from E4
would be a start, but how  many folks expect to use exponents in non-
base 10 any-ways?

===