eCompletion, 0001678 and keymapping

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Sep 18 07:40:04 UTC 2005

I checked and eCompletion requires shout.

> I am going to publish a version of Keymapping for 3.8/3.9.  It will be
> on SM in the next two hours...I hope that is soon enough for you to
> have
> a look.  It seems like you're having a fit of productivity right now
> :-)

:)
I just decided to take one complete evening on harvesting...

>   This release will not have the overrides for tool support so you
> will not be able to customize the tool keymaps, for example.  This
> is a
> big step backwards compared to 3.6/3.7 but until an application/tool
> framework develops I don't want to maintain my overrides.  I see the
> 3.6/3.7 version of Keymapping to be "proof of concept" that we can
> have
> completely customizable keymaps for our tools.  Services takes this
> one
> step further so hopefully it will emerge as the solution.

Ok you mean that with keymapping 3.8 we cannot customize the browser

> If the long-term intent is to keep these out of the "base" image
> then we really
> need to spend time to make the current tool framework more
> introspective
> for add-ons such as Keymapping and Services.  I would rather see them
> both in the base, though, and will do whatever I can to help.

I would like to see them both in base but managed as package (may be
not for services).
I did not check all the code but something with no extra classes,
classes commented,
would be nice. I think that having the possibility to have per morph
different binding
is important. May be we should have a design more driven by interface
to be able to
plug an idiot keymapping (= default one) or a full one (keymapping).

Stef