Publishing on Monticello

Martin Wirblat sql.mawi at t-link.de
Sun Sep 18 09:29:16 UTC 2005

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>> Like being able to get (only) the hot spot methods presented, the
>> overrides whose originals changed in the meantime, so that they are
>> now not overriding anymore what they did when being programmed.
>

> See above (or my previous message to Stef) - MC will highlight these
> methods for you.

You seem not to understand that there are different "perspectives" of
working with Squeak. That is what I tried to distinguish in my original
message with:

- developing the master line
- developing a parallel master line and try to sync it partly to another
master line (Tweak, Croquet)
- developing private stuff and keep it in sync with some master line

For the first two tasks MC is well suited, but they are performed by
only a few, like you. Here you change something in your image, the
master, and every now and then you merge in a MC-file from someone else.

The third task is the operation conducted by the overwhelming majority.
Here a different working style is needed. You download some image, e.g.
the newest release, an interim release or some special version of
someone. Then you file your stuff in.

For that case I would like to have a convenient and fast method, because
that is what many people do. I would like to have one single package,
the delta package that creates your private basic image, not many
mcd-files. On loading or whatever that could be called I get a list with
methods which override *and* the method they override got changed,
compared to the one I originally overrode.

MC will only give me a list of *all* overrides here. The best thing you
can do with this list, is to manually check, whether the old and the new
overridden method are the same or not. That's nearly impossible - you
need to compare two images, your old one and the new one, for all the
methods, one by one. Most people will refuse to do so and simply choose
"load". They are not better off with MC than with the old changeset system.

>> Yes, there is an interface problem. It starts with the bubble help
>> repeating what the buttons "merge" and "load" themselves say.
>> Unfortunately I don't know exactly what "load" and "merge" means,  so
>> I can't send you code ;)
>

> "Load" discards your own changes and loads the new version. "Merge"
> preserves your local modifications and applies changes done since the
> "fork" (where your version and the other version diverged).

That seems to be a good start for changing the bubble help text. But it
shows again that MC has been developed from a specific perspective, a
perspective most don't have, and that MC developers are not aware of
that. The devil is in the details here, e.g. I think the more precise
description for "load" would be that not only your changes are discarded
but the whole package gets replaced as if it were wholly discarded first.

Regards,
Martin