Hashtable (was Re: Dictionaries broken in 3.9a)

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 01:54:57 UTC 2005

On 9/18/05, stéphane ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:

> By the way you should have a look at HashTable on Squeaksource
> because the implementation of Dictionary there
> is much better in terms of collision strategy.

Seconded.  It uses quite a bit more memory than a standard Dictionary,
but the performance appears to be impressively flat while growing to
very large sizes, even when using the anemic #identityHash.  However,
it doesn't seem to work yet as a drop-in replacement for
Dictionary/IdentityDictionary in all cases.  I'm right now scratching
my head over why, in an old version of OmniBase, I consistently get a
deadlock when using IdentityHashTable to map objects to IDs, but it
works fine using either ODBIdentityDictionary or the standard Squeak
IdentityDictionary.

Avi