Hashtable (was Re: Dictionaries broken in 3.9a)

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Tue Sep 20 05:08:29 UTC 2005

 "stéphane ducasse" <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:

> Thanks for testing it.
> Because it needs testing :)

Well, here are more results:

When I tried to load SqueakSource into an image that
uses the ClosureCompiler I found that
SqueakSource does not compile under the new compiler for
a surprisingly simple reason: Our old compiler tolerates
some syntax errors and the new compiler is very strict
about syntax.

Specifically the new compiler does not allow a period
after the end of the message header and it does not
allow two periods in sequence.

In the SqueakSource package, the definition that stops
compilation is
SSHelp>>renderWhatIsOn:

In this method, a period follows the message header:

renderWhatIsOn: html.
 html heading: 'What is SqueakSource?' level: 2.
 <code that follow truncated>

We may have this problem in other code too and
I think that we should check all our more important
packages with the new compiler. After all, the removal
of wrong periods is not that difficult, but we have to do
it.

Greetings,
Boris