OT: sed script help, please

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Sep 21 05:44:34 UTC 2005

On 20-Sep-05, at 6:49 PM, Tom Rushworth wrote:

> Use the "other" category for mail import (i.e. File/Import/
> Other/...). It wants a directory
> containing all your Unix style mbox ("From" format) files.  I' ve
> used this to import an
> entire year's worth of mailing list drivel.
I finally got it done with the help of Bert's sed script, a lot of
puzzling and so on. It turns out that the Apple importer for 'other'
a) doesn't mind not having the newline in front of the 'From' line
b) does object to not having a name after the 'From '
c) does object to not hving a date ditto
d) ignores them apart from insisting on them being there!
So by replacing all the 'From ' with 'From foo Sun Sep 45 02:02:02
2055' it was happy to import 250Mb of mail. Slowly....

Thanks for all the advice I got. Now I just have to work out how to
get random siglines in Apple Mail so I can keep using  my famous sigs!

tim

tim