Building the VM got easier? 64 bit ready?

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Thu Sep 22 19:01:58 UTC 2005

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 07:36:39AM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> The OSProcessPlugin, XDisplayControlPlugin, and AioPlugin plugins are
> now updated for the 64-bit Squeak VM. They compile, run, and pass all
> OSProcess/CommandShell unit tests.
>
> Testing was done on both 32 bit Squeak and 64 bit Squeak image/VM, as
> well as on both 32 bit and 64 bit hardware (Intel and AMD hardware with
> Linux). They can be built on the latest (64-bit capable) VMMaker and
> SubVersion sources, and also on older sources such as the source bundles
> from Ian's web site.
>
> These are available on SqueakMap.
>
> Dave

This seems to have two implications, both of which are news to me:
* 64 bit squeak is buildable and operational
* current svn head and latest VMMaker get you there.

Are either of those interpretations correct?

How does this relate to Tim's previous announcement about versions of
VMMaker being associated with tagged versions of the svn tree?

I'm not immediately planning to do squeak on 64 bits, but I'm very
interested if building a current VM just got easier :)

Ross Boylan