Building the VM got easier? 64 bit ready?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Sep 22 19:31:16 UTC 2005

On 22-Sep-05, at 12:01 PM, Ross Boylan wrote:

> This seems to have two implications, both of which are news to me:
> * 64 bit squeak is buildable and operational
> * current svn head and latest VMMaker get you there.
>
> Are either of those interpretations correct?

Almost. The SVN head and _very_ latest VMM (37?) PLUS a couple of
image tweaks that are awaiting inclusion in the 3.8 update stream
have been used to make 64bit clean VMs on RISC OS, OSX and by David
on *nix. As yet I'm not willing to claim completeness - I think
several plugins need some more attention and I have no 64bit machine
to test on - but it works reasonably well

> How does this relate to Tim's previous announcement about versions of
> VMMaker being associated with tagged versions of the svn tree?

I guess when we have a version that seems tolerably stable we'll tag
an SVN version and a VMM package. As normal the SVN head and latest
VMM are considered 'shoot your foot off' but I usually don't even
save a VMM package unless it appears to work for me. For now VMM
stuff is a very low priority for me as I have lots of more urgent
things to worry about.

tim