new Magma (was: Dictionaries broken in 3.9a)

Daniel Vainsencher daniel.vainsencher at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 04:51:15 UTC 2005

Hi Chris,

Congrats on your release!

Chris Muller wrote:
 > Magma is back to 100% pure*, making no system changes that have not been
 > approved for at least 3.9.
 >
 > [*] I left the 3.9-approved fixes in, however, for <= 3.8 users.

IIUC, what this means is that if we change those methods again, and then
a user of such an image loads Magma, the further fixes will be reverted.
  The ensuing mess causes unbounded amounts of pain to the users and
developers of all the packages you're overriding.

Overrides are evil, please don't use them.

If the intent is to provide a 3.8 usable version, that is better served
by keeping them only in a fork intended for use in 3.8 (there is no
problem with overrides there, since the version will be very very stable).

Daniel