BabyUML

Trygve Reenskaug trygver at ifi.uio.no
Sat Sep 24 08:33:34 UTC 2005

Richard,
I am, of course, aware of the MDA effort. Ideed, I will give the keynote at
their upcoming ECMDA-FA conference in November. I expect to get a great
deal of useful information there.

My starting point is an old hobbyhorse. I believe that business
organization should own the information, including the programs. This means
that the system structure in some way should correspond to the organization
structure.  So the Web Services initiative is dear to my heart.

Another hobbyhorse is the separation of business information from the tools
(GUI) the users apply to solve business tasks, including programming. (My
original MVC is one example.) I often find  many-to-many associations
between tool objects and information objects. It is still an open question
if it is feasible with a seamless approach without ending up with sphagetti
at some level.

I protect myself by saying "My mind is made up. Don't confuse me with
facts". Joking aside, I collect issues like a stamp collector collects
stamps. I try to resolve one issue at the time, realizing that my original
ideas will need many fundamental revisions. But I DO believe we need a new
discipline of programming. The present state of affairs is simply not
acceptable and it must be resolved with improved structures.

My gut feeling is that the QuA and BabyUML projects are approaching the
same problem from different perspectives and that they could end up at the
same place when all is said and done.

Regards
--Trygve

Trygve Reenskaug      mailto: trygver at ifi.uio.no