A first integration of Roel Typer in Squeak

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 20:32:40 UTC 2005

On Sep 29, 2005, at 12:52 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I really like what Roel did about his type inferencer.
> I coded a bit to integrate them within a code browser. Just open a
> class and browse some code.
> http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~bergel/RoelTyper.zip
>
> Any comment?

Cool.  I found the instance variables listing in the comment pane -
is there anything else I missed?

It's a lot of fun to browse through and see what types it picks up.
For collections, it often shows something like:

<ArrayedCollection Bag Heap Interval LinkedList MappedCollection
OrderedCollection Set SkipList WeakRegistry>

It's a little bit surprising that there's no common superclass of all
of these that it could have found.  Of course, that seems to place
too much weight on inheritance - it almost makes me want to define
some kind of first class abstract protocol (trait?) that captures
what all of those have in common, so the type inferencer could just
list that...

I have no idea if this is feasible performance-wise, but it would be
great to integrate this with Shout so that you got real-time feedback
about whether the sends you're doing to instance variables are
consistent with their currently inferred type.

Avi