A first integration of Roel Typer in Squeak

Romain Robbes romain.robbes at lu.unisi.ch
Thu Sep 29 23:29:05 UTC 2005

On Sep 29, 2005, at 10:32 PM, Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Sep 29, 2005, at 12:52 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>

>> Hi!
>>
>> I really like what Roel did about his type inferencer.
>> I coded a bit to integrate them within a code browser. Just open a
>> class and browse some code.
>> http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~bergel/RoelTyper.zip
>>
>> Any comment?
>>

> Cool.  I found the instance variables listing in the comment pane -
> is there anything else I missed?
>
> It's a lot of fun to browse through and see what types it picks
> up.  For collections, it often shows something like:
>
> <ArrayedCollection Bag Heap Interval LinkedList MappedCollection
> OrderedCollection Set SkipList WeakRegistry>
>
> It's a little bit surprising that there's no common superclass of
> all of these that it could have found.  Of course, that seems to
> place too much weight on inheritance - it almost makes me want to
> define some kind of first class abstract protocol (trait?) that
> captures what all of those have in common, so the type inferencer
> could just list that...
>
> I have no idea if this is feasible performance-wise, but it would
> be great to integrate this with Shout so that you got real-time
> feedback about whether the sends you're doing to instance variables
> are consistent with their currently inferred type.

Yes, and completion as well ... we were just talking with Stef this
afternoon about all this neat pieces of code we have
and that we could bind together.

In services I use a modified version of the RB's parser that can deal
with some of the syntax errors, so it could possibly be used
in this context, and hence form a nice basis of an integration of
syntax highlighting and completion.

Romain

--
     Romain Robbes