[ANN] new version of services available for preview

Romain Robbes romain.robbes at lu.unisi.ch
Fri Sep 30 09:47:47 UTC 2005

On Sep 30, 2005, at 1:57 AM, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 29-Sep-05, at 4:22 PM, Romain Robbes wrote:
>

>> On Sep 29, 2005, at 10:02 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:
>>

>>> The obvious question here is how this affects the traditional
>>> usage of double-click on a word to select that word for cut/cop/
>>> paste/etc. Is there some extra gesture you missed out?
>>>

>> Well ... that's kind of a problem now ;-)
>>

> Ah. This ought to be sorted out pretty quickly then.
> Introducing modes is a good way to become the subtract of a number
> of voodoo practices so I'd avoid it if I were you. What is the
> problem with simply leaving the selection behaviour alone and using
> the same ctl-m/n hotkeys that we already have as ways of getting
> the implementors and senders? There isn't much point in making a
> simpler UI for getting to them at the cost of completely ruining
> the normal editing actions.

For me, navigating in the code is more "normal" than copy/pasting, ie
I use it way more often. Then I recognize than I can get
bitten by it from time to time. But I think using the mouse for this
really help in quickening the navigation. I'd really like to have
something like alt-clicking for this, but most of these keys are
taken already. Since I never use the halo (even if I trigger it
all the time ...), I was also thinking of including a 'mode' there
(as some people still need it).  I'd really like to remove the mode,
but finding a good keystroke+clicking combination is tough. The same
thing applies to keyboard shortcuts by the way.

> If you're original impetus for the change was to get to senders/
> implementors faster it would probably be more widely useful if you
> could make the building and opening of the dratted message set
> browsers faster.

Well the idea is to have the smalltalk browser behaving like a web
browser: click on something and go there in the same window
(senders, implementors, references to class and instance variables).
then you can go back and forward in your history, all of this without
opening a new window (and not being bugged when
you have some code you were editing still not accepted).

Romain

> tim
> --

     Romain Robbes